And the Halloween Competition Winners are.....

Watch this forum for the latest information on any competitions we are running. Join in and enjoy!

And the Halloween Competition Winners are.....

Postby Raven on Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:32 pm

Well, the votes have been cast and, as can be seen by all, the story with the most votes was Susan’s Ghost by Heather Kuehl. Now I said that I as the editor I would choose the overall winner, but I have decided that I will give out two main prizes….one being the people’s choice and the other the editors choice.

So the prize for the people’s choice goes to Heather for Susan’s Ghost…well done Heather for your great tale!

The prize for Editor’s choice goes to the story that was my personal favourite which was ‘Death of a Vampire’ by D.S. Scott. This was the first story this writer has submitted for publication…but I am sure (and hope) it will not be the last!

My decision was not easy however as I thoroughly enjoyed all the entries and would like to say a big thank you to all those who took part in the competition. A great mix of comedy, scary and thoughtful works which just goes to show how lucky I am to be associated with such great writers.
I will be contacting the two winners regarding their prizes, and to the rest of you I will be sending a runners up prize of an Ethereal Tales bookmark (though please bear with me, as I am sure you are aware that I am extremely busy at the moment with Issue Five and the audio book, I will send them out as soon as I have a moment spare.)

Congratulations everyone on making the competition such fun, and I will be contacting you in the future about your entries appearing in next years Halloween issue!
'May night hold you safe in her velvet embrace'
Raven
Site Admin

Re: And the Halloween Competition Winners are.....

Postby bodgei on Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:39 pm

Awesome! Congrats guys!
bodgei

Postby heatherkuehl on Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:43 am

:D

I'd like to thank everyone who voted for me. You guys are the best!

Heather Kuehl
Heather Kuehl
Discover a world where dragons roam the skies and vampires own the night
http://www.heatherkuehl.com
heatherkuehl

Postby jmaxon on Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:01 pm

I would recommend providing the full stories in future competition. Where I was only two votes behind, I felt like the main topic/content of my story was not available in the 500 words.
jmaxon

Postby Raven on Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:33 pm

jmaxon wrote:I would recommend providing the full stories in future competition. Where I was only two votes behind, I felt like the main topic/content of my story was not available in the 500 words.

I can see where you are coming from, and to be honest the reason for only having the first 500 words was so that when the stories were included in the Halloween issue the ends will be new to all those reading them.
In all honesty I think the voting side of the competition was more down to how many people you managed to get to come along and vote for you...rather than how much of the story was shown. I honestly feel that all the stories deserved more votes, but unless folks were sent this way then the amount of people to cast the votes was limited.

I hope that all those who entered will wish their work to be included in next years Halloween issue, that way everyone can get to enjoy the stories in their entirety as I have been able to.
'May night hold you safe in her velvet embrace'
Raven
Site Admin

Postby D. S. Scott on Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:58 pm

Well what can I say?

Flattered to have been chosen as the editors choice... thank you :D

A big thanks also go to the three people who voted for my story. When trying something new out, it is great to find that at least some people think it's good and as I have never written short stories before, to put this one out as a 'test' to see how it is received and to get some positive feedback is the biggest prize.

If time and the creative tidal wave I experienced on the night I wrote "Death of a Vampire", I do hope to submit further pieces for publication too.

Thanks everyone.
D. S. Scott

Postby C. London on Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:23 pm

Congratulations to the winners. I really enjoyed all entries as well. :D

However, I have to confess that I'm deeply ashamed of not voting. I had a very difficult week and it completely slipped my mind. I was just about to vote now but I've realised I'm too late. :oops: I am awfully sorry.
C. London

Return to Competitions